About this policy
We comply with all relevant privacy laws, including requirements applicable to us under:
- the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth);
- the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 (Qld); and
- Australian Standard 4721–2000: Personal privacy practices for the electronic tolling industry.
This Policy sets out, in general terms, how we manage personal information, including, generally, the kinds of personal information we may collect, the purposes for which we may collect it and how we hold, use and disclose personal information.
By using our products or services or providing personal information to us, you agree to the terms of this Policy.
Collection of personal information
Transurban Queensland collects your personal information to allow it to perform its business functions and activities. These may include:
- providing you with Transurban Queensland’s products and services;
- administering and managing Transurban Queensland’s products and services provided to you, including calculating and collecting tolls, fees and charges prescribed by law or otherwise payable for Transurban Queensland’s products and services;
- administering and managing products and services provided to you by other toll road operators, if you choose to use a Transurban Queensland product to pay for those products or services (for example, using an etag provided by Transurban Queensland for travel on another operator’s toll road);
- verifying your identity;
- conducting relevant and appropriate checks for creditworthiness and fraud;
- undertaking traffic planning and vehicle management services;
- conducting market research and research regarding traffic conditions;
- meeting our obligations and performing our functions under applicable laws and agreements;
- preventing or investigating any fraud or crime (or suspected fraud or crime);
- responding to your queries;
- notifying you of changes to our tolls, fees, charges, agreements, products or services;
Unless you ask us not to, we may also use your personal information to contact you about Transurban Queensland’s products or services that you might be interested in. You can opt-out of receiving this information on an application form when you create an account with us or purchase a service or by using the unsubscribe facility available in our marketing communications. You can also opt out by contacting us using the details set out at the end of this policy.
The types of personal information Transurban Queensland collects and records include:
- your name and contact details;
- banking/payment details (e.g. account numbers, credit card numbers);
- vehicle details, including the Licence Plate Number (LPN);
- images and video footage including of people and vehicles on roadways and the LPN and occupants in vehicles;
- tag details;
- for business accounts, information collected from referees as part of the sign-up process;
- information on your use of the Transurban Queensland website collected using cookies; and
- information we collect as part of a survey, customer feedback request or a competition you participate in.
If necessary, Transurban Queensland may also ask you to provide additional personal information from time to time.
In some circumstances, Transurban Queensland may collect your personal information from third parties, including the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Where this occurs, we ensure that we act in accordance with relevant laws.
If you do not provide Transurban Queensland with personal information, we may be unable to supply you with products or services.
Disclosure of personal information
In order to provide you with the products or services you request, Transurban Queensland may disclose your personal information to Transurban Queensland’s consultants, contractors and service providers performing services for Transurban Queensland including (but not limited to) debt recovery, credit reporting, mail-house, email distribution, legal and accounting, call centre operators and information technology service providers.
If your personal information is collected by one entity in the Transurban Queensland group of entities, it may also be disclosed to other Transurban Queensland group entities. By disclosing personal information to any entity in the Transurban Queensland group, you consent to all other Transurban Queensland group entities using that personal information for the purposes described above under the heading ‘Collection of personal information’.
If all or part of the Transurban Queensland group or its assets is sold or restructured, you consent to the transfer of your personal information to the purchaser or a new entity created as part of a restructure.
When you apply for an account, Transurban Queensland may disclose your personal information to a credit reporting agency to obtain a credit check.
If you have amounts owing under your account, Transurban Queensland may disclose your personal information to:
- a credit reporting agency, to report the debt;
- a debt collection or enforcement agencies, to pursue the debt; and
- a legal firm, for legal services in relation to debt recovery.
We may also disclose limited amounts of personal information (usually the LPN and tag details only) to other toll road operators to administer and manage your travel on non-Transurban Queensland toll roads.
In order to protect your credit card information we may implement tokenisation. This will involve disclosing your credit card data to a bank or other financial institution, who will securely store that information on behalf of Transurban Queensland, and assist with processing any authorised transactions.
If a vehicle registered in your name is linked to a Transurban Queensland account, Transurban Queensland may disclose information about trips your vehicle makes across our roads to the account holder.
If your vehicle is involved in or in the vicinity of a road incident, Transurban Queensland may disclose your personal information to emergency services, insurance providers and towing, roadside support and maintenance and logistics contractors. This may information may include images and video footage of the incident and the vehicles involved, as well as the details of any vehicles and occupants. A “road incident” also includes property and road damage caused by your vehicle.
Examples of where Transurban Queensland may disclose your personal information in a road incident include:
- where you are involved in a vehicle collision;
- where your vehicle is within the vicinity of a collision, and may be captured in video footage or images;
- where your vehicle causes property or road damage; or
- where you are in a vehicle that causes property or road damage.
Other than those third parties referred to above, Transurban Queensland will not disclose your personal information to any other third party unless it has reasonable grounds to believe:
- you have authorised Transurban Queensland to do so;
- your safety, or the safety of others in the community, is at risk; or
- Transurban Queensland is required or permitted by law to do so.
If Transurban Queensland provides your personal information to a third party, Transurban Queensland generally requires the third party to protect your personal information in the same way Transurban Queensland does.
Transurban Queensland may disclose information to recipients that are located outside Australia. Transurban Queensland may disclose personal information to overseas contractors, and may use off-shore servers for the purposes of data storage. Transurban Queensland has engaged contractors in the Philippines and certain other countries, and may disclose certain personal information to those contractors. Transurban Queensland will take commercially reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas recipient does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles (other than Australian Privacy Principle 1) in relation to the personal information.
Storage of personal information
Transurban Queensland uses reasonably appropriate safeguards and security measures to ensure personal information it holds about you is protected from risks such as misuse, interference, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Personal information is only retained for as long as is necessary for the identified purposes or as required by law.
Information access and correction
Transurban Queensland takes reasonable steps to ensure personal information it holds about you is accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading.
You have rights to access the personal information Transurban Queensland holds about you. You may do so by contacting the Privacy Officer (contact details below). We will not charge you a fee for your access request, but we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee for the preparation and provision of that information to you.
Transurban Queensland can only refuse your request if permitted by law. If your request is refused, Transurban Queensland will provide you with a written explanation for that refusal.
You also have rights to request the correction of personal information which Transurban Queensland holds about you. You may do so at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer (contact details below). Transurban Queensland reserves the right to refuse to correct your information in some circumstances. If Transurban Queensland refuses to correct any personal information about you, and subsequent agreement cannot be reached between you and Transurban Queensland, you may request that a note or statement regarding the correction requested be attached to the file that contains your personal information.
We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise allowed or required by law to collect that information). Sensitive information includes information about your health, racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs and criminal record.
Transfer of information overseas
Transurban Queensland does not currently transfer any of your personal information outside of Australia. If this changes, we will inform you of the change by updating this Policy.
Monitoring of Calls
We may record and monitor telephone calls between you and us for training, service quality control and compliance purposes.
Transurban Queensland reserves the right to change this Policy from time to time. If Transurban Queensland changes this Policy, it will post an updated copy on its website.
If you have any complaints about Transurban Queensland’s treatment of your personal information, please contact the Privacy Officer (contact details below). We take your concerns seriously, and will respond to any complaints as soon as possible.
Queensland Motorways Holding Pty Limited
PO Box 2125
Mansfield QLD 4122
Phone: (07) 3323 0000